pocket most commonly known as the Grove. It was the settling place for many different nationalities in Pueblo as they arrived from their home land. Italians, Yugoslavians, Czechoslovakians, Germans, Slovenians, and Hispanics made the Grove their home and the Steel Mill their life work. While the bars are a common recognition for the neighborhood today, the Grove’s history revolves around deep blue culture, faith, and lots of water.
St. Mary’s was the first of the three parishes to be founded in the Grove. In 1891 an abandoned broom factory was converted to a church meant to cater to the Germans, Slovenians, and Slovaks of Pueblo. Later, in 1911 around 200 Slovak families split from the church and constructed St. Anthony of Padua. St. Mary was then popular among Yugoslavians while St. Anthony was popular to Czechoslovakians. After the flood, St. Mary’s was relocated to Blende.
The Grove welcomes you to the Neighborhood and encourages participation in the conversation where everyone has a voice. We embrace differences and find collaboration an effective means of empowering change on the sidewalks of Pueblo. Come Home to the Grove.